Hiring is not a perfect science.
When companies hire they often do so in response to a problem. Whether the problem is a backfill or new headcount due to growth, the need to identify talent is imperative to the success of the team/organization. The longer a position is open the greater the impact on the company. It is likely that the hiring manager has already experienced pain (vacant positions, unfulfilled quota and overworked employees). Long-term pain causes diminished customer relationships, depleted team morale and even lost revenue and pipeline.
Best-in-breed organizations are aware of the impact acquiring successful talent brings to their organization. No company has too many A-level talents. Leading companies who desire to be better think creatively and differentiate themselves from the status quo…the same goes for their recruitment efforts.
Proactive recruiting is the process of identifying, engaging and building relationships with qualified industry professionals long before the need arises. A proactive approach has countless benefits for a company, however, few companies adopt this strategy.
Top 7 Reasons to Adopt a Proactive Recruitment Strategy:
- Lesser Time to Hire: By working proactively companies can anticipate their hiring needs and define the requirements for the position in advance. Building a pipeline prior to a need can allow teams to work quickly and effectively evaluate talent.
- Effective Branding: Proactive recruitment lets you evaluate market demand and find out what’s important to new hires (and how to attract them). Understanding the market prior to having an open requirement allows you to identify your top selling points and most attractive attributes.
- Improved Interview Process: A candidate’s experience interviewing with an organization greatly impacts their interest in a role. A proactive recruitment strategy includes working with your hiring managers to develop interview strategies and ensure talent has a positive experience during the interview process. Proactively evaluating your team’s interview strategies will allow you to initiate creative and scalable changes to existing interview strategies.
- Access to Passive Talent: By proactively searching for candidates you can take the time necessary to evaluate potential talent and have initial conversations about future openings. Many industry professionals may not be on the market TODAY but will likely be receptive to something new in the future. A properly nurtured pipeline can pay off big time.
- Market Analysis: Proactive recruitment affords the time to understand the market. Whether this means identifying where top talent works or industry compensation standards it will make your recruitment efforts more effective and efficient and improve the likelihood of a candidate accepting an offer.
- Retention of staff: One of the top reasons for turn over is burn out. The longer a requirement is open, the longer your staff is covering the work. Keep your team happy by providing them with the support they need immediately.
- Stronger Relationships: Standard hiring process is transactional. Proactive pipelines are rooted in relationships build over time, leading to better output and successful hiring.
Continuing with the coin-operated advertising, job board, and outsourced recruiting model has no long-term benefits. Proactive recruiting strategies enable transformation and continuous improvement. The long-term benefits include brand recognition, less pressure on recruiters/staff and obtaining A+ talent.
Proactive recruitment takes time to build and cannot be done alone. If you are interested in learning more about proactive recruitment and how Salt can work with you on hiring strategies, please reach out today!