Having built a career in recruitment and as an owner of a business, I have often said rightly or wrongly the way you enter and exit an organisation will be what people remember you by. Today I want to focus on the way we exit.
So you have decided to exit, here are 5 tips to make sure your exit is positive and professional.
- Tell your manager first, not your best mate in the office or anyone else – it’s simply the right thing to do and shows your level of professionalism.
- Be honest, if you have another role say so if you know where you are going say so, don’t lie – it’s a small world and your integrity will come into question.
- Stay focused – whilst your mind and heart may be already in your new job, you are still getting paid and one day may even want a reference from your current manager so deliver what’s expected now is not the time to take a back seat.
- Do the hours – it’s not Ok to start coming in late and heading off early and using up your sick days, not unless you are happy to take fewer dollars.
- Whilst for whatever reason you have chosen to exit your current company it’s a small world and one day you may want to go back or your manager or colleagues may end up in another company you apply to one day. A positive exit ensures the door remains open.
Follow these 5 tips to ensure a positive and professional exit.